BOTOX® Cosmetic is a simple, nonsurgical, physician-administered treatment that can temporarily smooth moderate to severe facial lines and wrinkles. It is the only treatment of its type approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). BOTOX® Cosmetic is a purified protein produced by the Clostridium botulinum bacterium, which reduces the activity of the muscles that cause those frown lines between the brows to form over time. After treatment you may look in the mirror and see a marked improvement in the moderate to severe treated wrinkle lines. But, BOTOX® Cosmetic will not radically change your facial appearance. You can still frown or look surprised - without the unwanted wrinkles and creases.
Results may vary
There are now many innovative cosmetic and medical uses for BOTOX® Cosmetic, including not only frown lines and "crow's feet" around the eyes, but also "smoker's lips" and "turkey neck" as well as excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) and migraine headaches. The skin conditions for which BOTOX® Cosmetic still works best are in the upper third of the face - frown lines between the eyebrows, horizontal bands of wrinkles across the forehead and crow's feet at the corners of the eye. But now, it can be also used to soften or erase lines around the mouth, to sculpt the face by raising one or both eyebrows, as well as to smooth vertical and horizontal neck lines. Tiny injections into certain oral muscles can safely prevent the mouth from creasing the skin and forming the deep vertical lines caused by habitual over-pursing. Fleshy folds or bands across the chin and neck are also treatable with BOTOX® Cosmetic by relaxing the platysmal (neck) muscles. Previously, the only way to treat the "turkey neck" on aging patients was to perform invasive scalpel surgery.
The beauty of a BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment is that it's a simple, 10-minute, non-surgical process. A few tiny injections, and within days there can be a noticeable improvement in the moderate to severe frown lines between the brows that can last up to 4 months. Results may vary. And there’s no recovery time. You can even do it on your lunch break. Dr. McNabb will administer several tiny injections of BOTOX® Cosmetic directly into the muscles that cause those moderate to severe lines and wrinkles. He will determine where to administer the injections by examining your ability to move certain facial muscles. The location, size, and use of the muscles that create lines and wrinkles vary markedly among individuals. No anesthesia is required, although we may choose to numb the area with a cold pack prior to injecting. Discomfort is usually minimal and brief. You can expect to be in and out of the physician’s office without any downtime. You may see a marked improvement in the moderate to severe lines and wrinkles within days. Improvement may continue for as long as a month, and could last up to 4 months.
Botox Cosmetic® Post-Treatment Instructions:
- After treatment, you must remain upright for the next 6 hours. Keep your head as erect as possible during this time and avoid bending down. Also, for 6 hours after treatment: do not rub the injection sites, do not exercise, do not drink alcohol, do not wear a hat or a headband and do not wash or style your hair.
- Work the treated areas by wrinkling the forehead or frowning for 5 minutes out of every hour for the next 4 hours.
- Immediately after your treatment, you may notice temporary redness and swelling at the injection sites. These effects typically disappear in less than 7 days. Cold compresses may be used immediately after your treatment to reduce swelling. If the inconvenience continues beyond 2-3 days or if other reactions occur, call us immediately at 704-663-5056.
- The most common side effects of Botox Cosmetic® include headache, nausea, flu-like symptoms, and redness and pain at the injection points. Infrequently, patients may experience muscle weakness or drooping of the upper eyelid muscles. This side effect usually resolves itself within days, or in rare cases, months after the procedure.
- It takes 3 - 7 days for the full effect of Botox Cosmetic® to be achieved.
- The unique nature of Botox Cosmetic® delivers results that generally last for about 3-4 months. Best of all, the effect tends to last longer with repeated use.
- One week prior to your next treatment with Botox Cosmetic®, avoid taking aspirin, other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (such as ibuprofen, Motrin and Aleve), Vitamin E, fish oil and St. John's Wort. These agents may increase bruising and bleeding at the injection sites.
Full Circle Family Medicine
435 East Statesville Ave.
Mooresville, NC 28115-2598
(704) 663-5056 -- Phone
(704) 663-5780 -- FAX